Error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Sun Apr 25 21:41:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 09:03, Ralph Grove wrote:
> I'm trying to install Fedora 1. I downloaded the CD's, tested them
> successfully and started the install. Within a few seconds, the
> following error appeared:
>
> "Error 2 reading header: cpio: Bad magic"
> exec of Anaconda failed....
>
> Has anyone seen this error? Any ideas on how to resolve it?
>
> Thanks
I have had this problem myself several times. In my case the problems
turned out to be either a flakey cdrom/hard drive combination or a
motherboard (mostly via89xx chips) issue.

In some cases changing the cdrom to hdc or another unit helped, and on
some systems changing cdroms.

I was forced to do a upgrade on another machine and transfer the hard
drive.

There also might be a way to play with other settings.
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>