Help it is Stuffed

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Apr 26 14:10:41 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-04-25 18:56, jludwig whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and
scribbled:

>On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 04:51, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>

>>Sounds like you could have a hardware problem.
>>Check your memory and your HD.
>>
>>You can use memtest86 to test your memory (failure in memtest86 also can
>>mean bad cpu I think) - not sure how to test the integrity of your hard
>>drive.
>>
>>On Sun, 2004-04-25 at 01:18, Stuart wrote:
>>
>>*snip*
>>
>>--
>>Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/
>>

>I've had this once as a memory problem A20 handler - too fast - I
>believe, and also something else cdrom or something. Sat here and tried
>to think - - -  can't seem to remember.

Another "last-ditch" effort is to go into BIOS setup right after
power-up (if you don't know how, you may need to research that on the
manufacturer's web site).  Many BIOSes have a menu choice to "Set
Failsafe Parms" or something similar.  This will apply very conservative
values for things like memory refresh, wait states, bus clock rates,
etc.  It could be that this allows you to get installed, and then later
you can experiment with tweaking certain parts for better performance.

--
Fritz Whittington
Man is by nature a political animal. (Aristotle, Politics)