Need help (of course) setting up network

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Apr 26 14:45:48 UTC 2004

At 13:00 4/25/2004, you wrote:
>I installed Fedora Core 1 and everything seems to be working well,
>including being able to use the internet. (Although, I think I stuffed up
>my firewall settings yesterday). However I need the help of a kind patient
>person who can walk me through our simple 3 computer network setup. I am
>the only one on Linux, the other two are on WindowsXP. Mine however is the
>only computer with internet access.

You're going to need to provide a lot more detail when you ask a question,
but we'll try to help you.

Now, assuming that your computer (A) connects to the Internet and that the
other two computers (B and C) run WinXP and connect to yours, I suggest you:

         1. First make sure that you have two Ethernet cards in your A
computer, and that A can connect to the Internet *and* to B and C.

         2. Once basic networking has been established (don't worry about
the rest of it until then), go to http://www.shorewall.net and download the
Shorewall RPM package. Also download the "Two-Interface Quick Guide" and it
will show you how to give B and C access to the Internet via A.

Post back here if you have more questions. And remember, when starting a
new conversation, press the button in your mail program for a *new*
message... do not reply to an existing message since this confuses the threads.

Cheers,

>"First, do no harm" J.Holt

Huh?

This is from the Hippocratic Oath... who the heck is J. Holt?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com