Wireless network config

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 26 19:52:09 UTC 2004

Chris Manning wrote:
> Hi all.  I've been working on getting FC1 up and running on my new laptop,
> and one thing that has really been frustrating me is wireless networking.
> So far I've got the driver loaded thanks to ndis-wrapper and I can bring the
> interface up with ifconfig wlan0 up, but I can't seem to figure out how to
> get it to connect to my AP, pick up an address, anywhere to put in wep
> passcode etc.  Can anyone point me to a good resource online for configuring
> wireless nics?  What would be great is a util that can manage different
> configs.  I'm probably missing something, but to me, easy wireless
> configuration is something that linux seems to be failing at right now.

I add a "postinstall wlan0 sh /usr/local/bin/wireless-setup" command in
my /etc/modules.conf.  The "/usr/local/bin/wireless-setup" file
contains:

	#!/bin/bash
	iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid (your-essid) key s:(your-key)

with (your-essid) and (your-key) changed appropriately.  Once that's
run, an "iwconfig wlan0" should show you connected to your network.
Then the standard /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 should
take over and set up your IP and such.
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -