How do I fix problems after apt-get.

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Apr 26 22:36:57 UTC 2004

Axel Thimm wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:35:09PM -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
>

>>Last week I did a "apt-get dist-update" and 'upgraded' my fedora core 1
>>after installing atrpm. After fighting with my machine for a couple hours,
>>I discovered that the reason X would not allow me to log in was, that gnome
>>and gdk were fuxored somehow. After I switched to KDE, I could login.
>>Mozilla mail was fuxored as well, so I downloaded the src rpm for 1.6 then
>>built and installed it.
>>
>>The new version of KDE is pretty and kewl. :-)
>>
>>I have fiddled about and got KDE working satisfactorily, so it is not
>>imperative that I get Gnome working, but I would like it.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Should some of the repositories defined in the atrpm-config sources.conf be
>>disabled, and/or should others be added.
>>

>No, the repositores should be complete.
>
>Did you get any errors or warnings during dist-upgrade? Please post
>some details about how the gnome/gtk bits got broken on
>bugzilla.atrpms.net. Thanks.

I am not sure what is broken, if GNOME is defined in
/etc/sysconfig/desktop X starts and after I log in it goes to the splash
screen then exits and goes back to the login screen. The login screen
does not appear to be gdm either, I think it may be xdm.

I rebooted a number of times and check the X logs before I determined
the problem was with gnome/gdm. I am not sure how to get additional
information about the problem because I am not getting any errors, and I
don't know where there would be logs for the gdk problem.

I'm done work for the day, so I got go, if anyone has any pointers about
where I should look to figure out whats broken, let me know and I'll
check it out tomorrow.

Later