non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Tue Apr 27 02:40:41 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Apr 26, Jason L Tibbitts III did say:

> JP> But everything I got on this fc1 (including konqueror) seams to be
> JP> based on mozilla.
>
> Konqueror certainly isn't based on Mozilla.  It uses KHTML as its
> rendering engine, the same as the Macintosh Safari browser.  No
> Mozilla code in sight.

I stand corrected. I just did some looking around and while I remember
reading something that made me think konqueror was another mozilla
compatible, I can't seam to find it now so I must have been wrong.

> Of course, Konqueror compatibility (at least the version in FC1) is
> probably a bit less than that of Mozilla.  It's getting better.

Now that, my past experience with Konqueror agrees with <grin>. Some time
ago when I was spending most of my free time playing with Mandrake 8.2 I
tried to make konqueror my primary web browser. I remember liking it
until I found too many web pages that wouldn't work with it including
my banks. I'm glad to hear it's improving. And even gladder to realize
that it's definitely using a different rendering engine, and thus might be
worth trying when Mozilla fails.

> Other than that, you have Opera as another reply mentioned,

<Please see my reply to Daniel's message.>

> and you can run at least some versions of Internet Explorer under WINE.

Cold day in Hel^Hck when I'll trust IE itself (even under Wine) to have
ANY access to my computer AND the internet at the same time. I might
want access to web pages that are designed for IE, but I'd sooner trust
a pirate copy of a cracked outdated program written for a commodore 64
and ported to an apple plus in some third world country, then ported to
*nix by a known felon, than I would to trust any of MS's stuff. In the
rare cases when I actually need to do something with windows software, I
disable my cable modem during the whole time any of it is running.

> There's also Netscape 4.something, which might still run if you can
> find it (and you have a masochistic streak).  You can probably use the
> packages from Red Hat 8.0.

If I'm feeling THAT masochistic I'd try to get there with lynx...<grin>

I thank you for the informative reply and especially the details on Konqueror.