Installation of Red Hat

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 27 14:47:12 UTC 2004

At 05:44 4/27/2004, you wrote:
>We have upgraded our hardware. I am endeavouring to recycle all of our
>old workstations (500 Mhz Celerons with 64mb RAM) [...]
>Any constructive advice,
>preferably based on previous experience, would be much appreciated.

This will allow you to make those machines useful:

http://www.rule-project.org

The RULE project (Run Up-to-date Linux Everywhere) works to make Linux
usable and useful on older hardware so that its life can be extended. It is
currently working on Red Hat Linux 9 (for which you can still get updates
via Fedora Legacy after Red Hat stops updates in a few days), and will soon
be ported to Fedora Core 2. It uses software which is not as demanding
(e.g. icewm instead of GNOME) so the machine is not too slow.

RULE has documented installs on 486 machines with as little as 8 MB of RAM.
Your 500 MHz machines with 64MB of RAM will work fine.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com