converting user to linux

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Tue Apr 27 15:49:59 UTC 2004

Thanks duncan and everyone.

After I explained to her about the Microsoft license agreement, she
seemed more inclinded to install Linux but yet has her doubts that
everything will work.  I also explained about the kernel 2.4 ACPI
issues and that FC2 had kernel version 2.6.* and that may solve those
issues.

Still, I am going to give Windows one last chance.  We will purchase a
commercial anti-virus today and see if it fixes the virus/trojan
problems.

The real problem is she let's other family members use her laptop and
they probably open some attachment that was infected that the free
webmail service did not detect.  Windows updates are run nightly and
her system should be up to date, but it was infected anyway and AVG
didn't work.  It detects but does not get rid of the virus.  She seems
to have multiple virus' that replicate themselves.

If that doesn't work, I'm trashing XP and will attempt to install
fedora Sunday.

Although galeon is not included in fedora, that's usually the frist
thing I install on my linux boxes.  She has used Galeon on my box and
really likes this browser.  Perhaps this is the first step to
converting her to Linux.  She also likes all the free games and
oowriter.

I'm so tired of her asking me how to do this or do that in Windows
XP.  She knows linux has it's quirks but she also knows I have files
on my box which I saved years ago and never seem to lose anything.  I
attribute that to Linux being a rock solid os!

Let you know how it goes.

jay