converting user to linux

Craig cs007fc at wowway.com
Tue Apr 27 16:29:37 UTC 2004

neil wrote:

> drs at pointyhats.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks duncan and everyone.
>>
>> After I explained to her about the Microsoft license agreement, she
>> seemed more inclinded to install Linux but yet has her doubts that
>> everything will work.  I also explained about the kernel 2.4 ACPI
>> issues and that FC2 had kernel version 2.6.* and that may solve those
>> issues.
>>
>> Still, I am going to give Windows one last chance.  We will purchase a
>> commercial anti-virus today and see if it fixes the virus/trojan
>> problems.
>>

> This could be the worst decision you have ever made. I would hold my
> ground and say something like this: "Honey, either you get Linux or
> you get out." T'is that simple.
>
> neil

alright, let me say that neil is right and wrong:
1.   it already sounds like she admits that windows has many faults and
that you haven't these same problems with linux which means she's open
to the idea of "giving it a go" and you should GO WITH THAT.  Tell her
there will be differences in the way things work but if she's willing to
adjust to those differences, she'll be better off. My girl (luckily for
me) couldn't care less what system she uses so long as it doesn't crash
on her constantly like windows. I showed her how to use linux to do what
she wanted and she was amazed that she couldn't crash. The result is
that she WANTS me to convert her system as soon as she's done with this
semester is over (finals are next week).
2.   don't give her an ultimatum, you don't need to. the fact that
windows hasn't worked and that she understands (read; comprehends) the
hoops you'd have to jump through just to load XP onto a different system
and how it isn't guaranteed to solve the problem (ie: viruses) AND LINUX
WILL means that she's actually leaning towards "a new learning curve and
a new way of doing things" rather than "taking a chance at the same old
problems"
3.   turn the negative into a positive: ok, so her friends don't know
how to use linux, that means that they won't be doing anything on her
system that she doesn't know about because they'll have to ask her (or
you) how to do them. she (read: you) might just be able to find out what
one of her "friends" has been doing that has caused her so many problems
in windows.

in conclusion, as long as she's not "dead set against it", you should
ALWAYS try to convert, MS is just a money-hole anyway. do you really
want to try a last-ditch effort just to end up spending more and more
money for the supporting apps that freely available to all of us devoted
linux users, let's show some backbone, grit and determination.

Craig