signature.asc files

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Apr 27 17:02:11 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-04-27 11:47, Fritz Whittington whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> On or about 2004-04-27 10:31, David Collantes whipped out a trusty #2
> pencil and scribbled:
>
>>> "Some user complained that my PGP messages are attachments!
>>> That user is using obsolete and broken software. PGP/MIME is the only
>>> way to use PGP with email that is actually specified (RFC 2015) and not
>>>

>> [...]
>>
>> Good then, I assume no one will have a problem with S/MIME signed
>> messages
>> either, right?
>>

> I certainly hope not!  For years I have made it a habit to sign all my
> email.  In that way, if someone ever pops up and says I sent
> such-and-such an email, and it's NOT signed, I can argue that it was
> forged more likely than not.  OR, if it's signed but doesn't verify, I
> can prove it's been modified.  And the signed copy from my "Sent Mail"
> archives can prove exactly what I did send.

However, it appears that the addition of the fedora-list signature which
the mailing list software adds is doing something to confuse at least
Mozilla 1.7b.  I can see the:

block in the message source, but Mozilla doesn't show it as signed.  It
shows it properly from my "Sent Mail" folder, however.  I'm pretty sure
this is just a bug with the beta Mozilla, however.

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org