converting user to linux

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Apr 27 22:23:28 UTC 2004

Jay Daniels wrote:

>Thanks duncan and everyone.
>
>After I explained to her about the Microsoft license agreement, she
>seemed more inclinded to install Linux but yet has her doubts that
>everything will work.  I also explained about the kernel 2.4 ACPI
>issues and that FC2 had kernel version 2.6.* and that may solve those
>issues.
>
>Still, I am going to give Windows one last chance.  We will purchase a
>commercial anti-virus today and see if it fixes the virus/trojan
>problems.
>
>The real problem is she let's other family members use her laptop and
>they probably open some attachment that was infected that the free
>webmail service did not detect.  Windows updates are run nightly and
>her system should be up to date, but it was infected anyway and AVG
>didn't work.  It detects but does not get rid of the virus.  She seems
>to have multiple virus' that replicate themselves.

There are virus/spyware/trojans that have tiny triggers that even if
they are deleted will reinfect and reactivate.
Often if this kind of software gets on your machine the ONLY fix is a
full format and reinstall.

Some packages that might help (in addition to the virus software and
keeping it up to date) is spy-bot and spy-scanner.  They were rated the
best in a recent PC Magazine article for monitoring and cleaning many of
these types of packages.

In my case I have been running McAfee virus scan for years.  Recently I
installed Norton as well and it informed me that 2 files never hit by
McAfee  contained trojans. Go Figure!