web cams? recommendations?

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Wed Apr 28 00:21:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:02, Peter Smith wrote:
> Just a quick question--does anyone have any webcam-on-Linux
> recommendations?  I'm hoping to get a 640x480 USB cam that is compatible
> w/ Linux for not too much $$ and am learning that this doesn't seem
> possible.  Any recommendations welcome!  I'll take any answers off list..
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

What do you consider 'Not too much $$'?  I run a few stardock camera's
(they run embedded linux with a built in webserver if you wish to use
it). It runs about $500.

As for desktop webcams...  I have a few of the logitech color webcam
balls (You know... they look like a baseball with a rubber triangle on
the bottom)...  I can get decent pics from it as long as the lighting is
good.

Post to the list if you see any that use a cmos chip... better image
quality, and the pricing is getting better...