Early thoughts on FC3

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Apr 28 14:39:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 13:44, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> > Just curious, why do so many users go and get acrobat reader?
> > I've always just used ghostview/kghostview for pdf files without a problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel.
> >
> Heck, gpdf in FC1 doesn't even have a print option! Odd, considering
> .pdf documents are routinely headed for a printer. <grin> Of course we
> can all type lpr filename.pdf at the terminal prompt, but this is simply
> a glaring omission for a .pdf viewer app.

I think this has been solved as well, but it doesn't appear to be listed
in the whats new section (may be they don't want to point out the other
one couldn't ;))

> For large documents with many chapters, acroread has the benefit of
> thumbnails.
>
> Until those features are available in a version that fits with Fedora,
> it's nice to have a choice that will allow us to get our work done.

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.6/notes/rnwhatsnew.html

PDF Viewer
The PDF viewer now has several features that users missed in the
previous version, such as:

      * Sidebars for bookmarks and page thumbnails.

      * Ability to open password-protected files.

      * New full-screen mode.

      * Support for TrueType fonts.

      * URLs open in the default browser when clicked.

Admittedly this odes not help with filling in of the forms, but well,
thought you may be interested.