Start again on the newbie's networking problem. Re: Need help (of course) setting up network

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Wed Apr 28 14:57:49 UTC 2004

Around 03:49pm on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 (UK time), Jay Daniels scrawled:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 08:05:09AM -0400, jludwig wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 07:40, Steve Searle wrote:
> > > Around 05:14am on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 (UK time), Rodolfo J. Paiz scrawled:

> > > Have you a cite for the prosecution of someone who was hacked into?
> > > While I agree with you that protection is very important regardless of
> > > the value of any data on the PC, and that unprotected PCs have often
> > > been used for DoS attacks, I would have thought that claiming people
> > > have been prosecuted is scaremongering.  As ever, I could well be wrong
> > > 'though.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Steve
> > In any case it's not worth some law enforcement officials showing up at
> > your door and "borrowing" your hard drive(s) for several months.
>
> I think they take everything you own and it's up to you to prove your
> innocence.  Even if you are innocent, how do you get compensated for
> such actions.  This could go on for months or years and you may never
> get your property or your life back.

I suspect in this heavy handed law enforcement scenario, having a
properly configure firewall is not going to be much use.  I still would
like to see some evidence of people being prosecuted because they have
allowed their computer to be hacked.

Steve

--

(o<     www.stevesearle.com