What's going on with the list?

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 28 16:16:01 UTC 2004

Gordon Keehn wrote:

> jludwig wrote:

>>> No.  Things are OK here on that score, but I'm not always seeing my
>>> postings
>>> getting to the list.
>>>
>>> Erik
>>
>> I'm seeing sporadic dupes and always have, my mail profile should
>> exclude them.
>>  -- jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>
>
>    Yesterday I had problems which caused me to have to restart
> downloading messages several times.  Apparently (hey, what do I know?)
> messages aren't purged from the server until all pending messages are
> received, so everytime I had to restart the download, it pulled down
> all the messages, and I ended up with several copies of the earlier
> ones. Could that be the problem here?  (Note that on one occasion some
> time ago, I think a download spontaneously restarted itself in the
> middle, and I got duplicate messages, but it was a while back.)

Yes, and thats a good thing.

Mailservers are not usualy configured to delete messages automaticaly
once they have been downloaded, your mail client needs  to send a
command to delete the messages. If your client software gets
disconnected or barfs before sending the delete command, the server will
not delete the messages.