non-gecko-based browser ??? Are there any for FC1 ????

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Wed Apr 28 19:26:28 UTC 2004

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> I did consider trying wine or win4lin a while back (VMWare was TOO
> costly to consider) But I decided that I would want to disable all
> internet access while it was running any windows software (a simple
> matter of trust) So I might as well just leave windows as an lilo menu
> item.

I don't know how Win4lin accesses the network, but if it uses a
so-called tun/tap interface then Linux sees it as just another network
card and all the traffic goes through Linux's routing routines, so you
could configure your packet filter to deny the virtual machine network
access altogether, or for example allow it to access a web server on
your own box but not let anything out on the Internet. Or you could let
the virtual machine access the Internet (with the host machine as a
firewall) and treat it as just as untrusted as anything on the Internet.
(It's quite possible to let packets pass through if they're addressed to
someone else but block them if they're addressed to you.)

Björn Persson