RHCE

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Thu Apr 29 16:31:29 UTC 2004

Uttered Chadley Wilson <chadley at pinteq.co.za>, spake thus:

> My question is a difficult one because I need to justify and prove prior
> to actually going on the course that RHCE would be the right way to go.

RHCE is a performance-based evaluation, with a time limit ;-)  If you
can pass RHCE, not only do you know your stuff, you know it well
enough to perform under pressure.  Someone with 1-2 yrs of Linux
sysadmin experience should be able to cope with the RHCE exam.

Taking the RHxxx classes is _not_ a sufficient prerequisite for
passing the exams because the exams are designed to answer the
question "can you fix this immediately" instead of "can you figure
this out".  During the RHCE, you have online access to _all_ of the
RH documentation.  You just don't have time to look stuff up; it's
got to be in your "working set".

This is why RHCE is so well respected.  Get one and you've had your
baptism under fire.  I've taught classes on troubleshooting but I
would always point out that I can't teach you troubleshooting in a
class room.  Troubleshooting is what you do when your boss calls you
an 3AM and says "the system is down; get it working by sunrise or you
are fired."  That's troubleshooting.  That's why RHCE is well
respected and trusted.  That's why Red Hat can stake their reputation
behind telling your employer that _you_ know what you are doing.

Don't be afraid to take the exam more than once.  Learning to manage
your time is what an RHCE exam is all about.

Cheers!