Applying Kernel Patch-Errors on FC1

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 29 17:09:10 UTC 2004

On Apr 29, 2004 at 16:56, Murali P in a soothing rage wrote:

> --- "ne..." <akabi at speakeasy.net> wrote: > On Apr 28,
>2004 at 12:37, Murali P in a soothing rage wrote:
[...]
>> Say you install the kernel-source rpm, this will
>> install
>> to /usr/src/linux-<version>. Now you apply the patch
>> this and it succeeds. Step 1 safely accomplished. So
>> now
>> you cd /usr/src/linux-<version> and edit the
>> Makefile.
>> Since you like your EXTRAVERSION as udf, you add
>> this
>> as 'EXTRAVERSION = -udf'. Next you do a 'make
>> mrproper'.
>> Now the source is in a nice clean state. Then
>> - Copy a 2.6.x config if you have one to
>> /usr/src/linux-<version>/.config and do 'make
>> oldconfig'
>> - I then do a'make menuconfig' and recheck _all_ my
>> options.
>> - 'make clean all'
>> - 'make modules_install install'
>> - Check grub.conf and reboot.
>>
>> If you have problems with these steps, it may happen
>> because of the options you chose in the 'make
>> menuconfig'
>> step. Redo from that point on.
>>
>> HTH.
>> N.Emile...
>Thanks a lot.Your prescription worked.Packet writing
>is enabled on my CDRW device when I rebooted with the
>new bzImage copied as vmlinuz-2.6.3-udf under /boot.
>But strangely (or is it not?) 'make install' failed
>with the messages : "mkinitrd failed" and "could not
>load /lib/modules/2.6.3-2.1.204custom/modules.dep:No
>such file or directory ".
>Although system is fine,but what is the meaning of
>such error messages?
That there is a mis-match in version names somewhere.
Does what is listed in /boot, /lib/modules, your lilo.conf/grub.conf
and the kernel Makefile match up???

N.Emile...
That, that is, is.
That, that is not, is not.
That, that is, is not that, that is not.
That, that is not, is not that, that is.
 13:04:34  up 40 days,  1:36,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00