Network Card SMC2635W (ADM8211 Chipset) Setup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 29 23:08:56 UTC 2004

jludwig wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 16:29, Terry Polzin wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 29 April 2004 14:07, Ian Wallace wrote:
>>
>>>I've searched the archives and tried numerous things however I don't
>>>seem to be able to get my wireless card to work with Fedora Core 1.
>>>
>>>I've downloaded the driver source from ADMtek and compiled it using the
>>>kernel sources for the kernel I'm running (2188.nptl).  That works ok,
>>>and when I pop in the card I can see in /var/log/messages that it
>>>recognizes the card, and loads the 8211 driver.
>>>
>>>Beyond that though ... nothing.  The power / activity light comes on, it
>>>tries to associated itself with eth0 however never receives an IP from
>>>the access point.
>>>
>>>I've tried the wireless howto's and am a i bit confused if this should
>>>be showing up as wlan0 or eth0, or eth1.  Would someone be so kind as to
>>>point me the correct direction for information on how to configure
>>>this?  Or where else things might be going wrong?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>ian
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ian Wallace <iwallace at eforceglobal.com>
>>

>>What devices show up when you run redhat-config-network?
>>Mayby you need to restart networking as well
>

> I had to do some failure analysis on some wireless systems some time ago
> and found that there are at least a few "standards" and even cards from
> different manufacturers supposedly using the same standard may not work
> with each other (Google it I did).
> The key point then, is first make sure that your card(s) will actually
> work on your wireless network.

You also need to run the iwconfig utility either manually or by
modifying the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file to handle your card.
Without that, your card won't know which network to connect to.  If it
can't connect to the network (channel, ESSID, key), you can't get an IP
from the DHCP server.

See "man iwconfig" for details.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -