SV: htaccess files and apache

Trond Husø tr-huso at online.no
Fri Apr 30 06:39:10 UTC 2004

[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
> På vegne av -=Brian Truter=-
> Sendt: 29. april 2004 00:12
> Til: 'For users of Fedora Core releases'
> Emne: RE: htaccess files and apache

Schoolcraft
> > Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 10:28 AM
> > To: For users of Fedora Core releases
> > Subject: Re: htaccess files and apache

> > like to ask it anyway.

> > reason I don't
> > > >

> > > Make sure your AllowOverride statement in httpd.conf
> > > (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf) is setup correctly - the
> > default config
> > > file has comments on it.
> > >

> > I have the problem where if I enable a .htaccess file in one
> > of my main directories of my webserver, all my "virtual hosts"
> > webpages/domains will not even load.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Schoolcraft
> > PO Box 210076
> > San Francisco CA 94121
> > http://billschoolcraft.com
> >

> > --
> >

> If those virtual hosts are in subdirectories of the main, then that is
> working properly. If I remember correctly, if AllowOverride is
enabled,
> apache will check every directory in your web for the presence of an
> .htaccess file. Their precidence is heirchial. If the a directory does
not
> have an .htaccess file, it inherits the settings from the .htaccess in
> it's
> parent directory.
>
> I believe that is how it works. I'm sure someone here can correct me
if
> I'm
> wrong.
>
> Generally, setting directory permissions directly in the httpd.conf is
> prefered, that way apache doesn't have to pause and check each
directory
> for
> an .htaccess file, and you will get a little better performance.

I put in the following line which didn't help...

<Directory "/home/sites/%0/web">
        AllowOverride All
</Directory>

# %0 is used since there are virtualhosts on the boks and the directory
under sites is called f.instans www.home.net
I've also noticed this:
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>
And was wondering if I should change none to all, but I bet that would
be a security risk.

Yours,
Trond Husø