Samba Server Configuration Tool 1.1.4 troubles

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 30 12:05:05 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 30.04.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 13:50:

> Hi
> All of a sudden this tool starts is troubles.
> This is what happens. On the file server open the tool and select
> preferences and then security.

What is that tool you are using?

> If you set the option  to "user" click OK then add a user and click OK.

Hopefully that "clicking" creates the Samba user _and_ activates him.
And hopefully you know that the Samba user must exist as a system user
too.

> Now you go to the workstation and browse the network. No server to be
> found? OK so I type in smb:///chadlin and press enter. It comes up but
> keep asking for the username and password over and over again.
> Then I finally get to see all the files and guess what it seems to be
> working.
> I then try to copy and paste file from the server to the home dir on the
> wkstation but it asks for the username twice and the does nothing.
> I tried to reboot the server (foolish I know) but still the prob
> persists. Is there something that is forcing the share made on samba.
> I have looked through the smb.conf file but cant find where to set the
> security.

If it is not there the "tool" did delete the original smb.conf.

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user

> can anyone help me please

Please read the Samba documentation. It contains a lot of needed and
helpful information.

> Chadley - Linux Rocks

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 14:02:24 up 3 days, 12:51, load average: 0.47, 0.53, 0.47
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]