what am I missing, getting SMTP to work

Mike Rambour mikey at b2systems.com
Fri Apr 30 17:55:36 UTC 2004

At 04:49 AM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
>Am Fr, den 30.04.2004 schrieb Mike Rambour um 11:15:
>
> >   I am configuring a new machine and I can't get it to work.  I am using
> > Core1, all the patches and Postfix.  I am trying to use my Linux box as a
> > outgoing mail server from home and not use my ISP's SMTP, I can send mail
> > from the Linux machine but not from my home machines (another Linux for me
> > and Windows for my wife and daughter).
>
> >   I am using postfix and ps output says
> > root      1735  0.0  0.4  7140  620 ?        S    Apr14   0:00 sendmail:
> > accepting connections
> > smmsp     1744  0.0  0.3  7316  412 ?        S    Apr14   0:00 sendmail:
> > Queue runner at 01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
>
>You are not using Postfix. You are running Sendmail.

  That is what I was afraid of...I saw the sendmail process and I was
hoping that Posftix just used the same name.  I did use the Redhat tool for
switching to Postfix and even rebooted after using it.

> >   My configuration by the way is that the linux box is behind a Linksys
> > router so the machine has a 192.168.1.30 address and is on my network.  I
> > have tried removing the Linksys and putting the Linux box directly on the
> > net and on the linksys with the Linux IP in the DMZ and also just
> > forwarding the ports...all 3 configurations gave the same result, port 25
> > closed.
>
>Your "problem" is the default security setting to let Sendmail (valid
>for default Postfix too) only listen on localhost. That means for
>outside connections no MTA is listening on the public port 25.
>
>Go to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc, search for the DAEMON_OPTIONS line, read
>the comments there and do what's needed. And I highly recommend and
>advise you to read the available documentation for running a mail
>server.

   I did not touch the sendmail conf file, but I did edit the postfix one
to listen to all devices and I did a postfix start but sendmail still shows
up.  I will play some more tonight when I get home.

         Mike