[akonstam: CD writing mystery.]

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Aug 1 20:55:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 04:25:54PM +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 14:36, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > The Nautilus based CD burning system  does not work for
> > me. In thinking about it I decided the problem might be that my new
> > CDRW devices are 52X but the CD-R disks are rated to write at up to
> > 48X. Could it be that the problems is that interface (unlike xcdroast)
> > does not allow you to adjust the writing speed? What do you think of that
> > problem or do you have another suggested solution? For example the
> > Nautilus CD burning window is really a gui for cdrecord. Is tweaking the
> > config file for cdrecord maybe the answer?
>
> Do you have a copy of Windows on that same machine? The only reason I
> ask is that it might be worth investigating whether the problem is to do
> with your drive simply "not liking" your media. I had a problem once
> burning some CDs under Linux which I thought was software based -- I
> spent ages trying to track it down. Then, out of curiousity, I rebooted
> into Windows and tried to burn the CD and it still failed. I then tried
> the discs in another machine with a different brand drive and it worked
> fine. So then I thought that there must be something wrong with the
> CD-RW drive in my machine, but when I tried a different brand of discs
> everything worked again. It seems that some drives simply don't like
> certain brands of discs -- now, before I buy and blank CDs in bulk I
> always try and buy just one first to check it's compatible with my
> drive.
>
> Best, Darren
Again we are having some confusion. I have not problem writing the
CD's with xcdroast or with Nero in Windows. In both cases, I can
control the writing speed.

Part of my question is whether changing the parameters in
cdrecord.conf would help with the Nautilus approach?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.