After YUM update New Kernel not recognized

David White djwhite at snet.net
Mon Aug 2 17:27:34 UTC 2004

David White wrote:

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> YUM successfully updated all my RPMs ...but...
>>
>> I received the following "critical information" from up2date...
>>
>> Your systems is current running "Old Kernel."  It is recommended that
>> you reboot at your first opportunity to test the "New Kernel."
>>
>> I don't, however,  use GRUB or LILO (I boot from a CD). Is there any
>> other way to complete the recognition process of the updated kernel.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Dave White

Read mkbootdisk information or man pages. It should explain how to
create an ISO image for a bootable CD. I made one as a test and it
worked fine. (Latest kernel).

June 20th of lat month is more details. Basically create an image in the
tmp directory or wherever you choose to save the iso image to be created
by using:

mkbootdisk 2.6.whatever --iso --device /tmp/kernel-image.iso

After creating the image. Use whatever CD burning program you choose to
burn the ISO to CD. Then repeat process for each time you need a newer
kernel on CD.

Personally, I open nautilus, navigate to the directory where the iso is
located.  Insert a blank CD. Close down the burn:/// window. Highlight
the iso image file created. Right click on the file. Choose "Write To
CD" and wait until the image is created. You could then reboot your
computer to see if the newly created Boot CD w/ kernel is good.

Jim,

Thank you!

I used: mkbootdisk --verbose --device /tmp/boot.iso --iso 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
and then... cdrecord -v -tao /tmp/boot.iso

I was confused on how a boot disk actually works...each bootdisk is
specific to a particular kernel.

Dave White