Install X after a minimal installation

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Tue Aug 3 08:49:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, August 2, 2004 20:42, Chris Hewitt said:
> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 19:30, robin-lists at robinbowes.com wrote:
>> Hmmm. "startx" is not present now. Looks like I need to install something
>> else...
>
> Robin,
>

> This may be stating the obvious, but given the problems you are coming
> across, you could probably have a full system with X quicker if you reinstalled from
> scratch from the CDs.

Nah, that would be defeatist! Also, I'm installing to a software RAID1 mirror for the root filesystem with /usr, /var, and /home filesystems mounted from lvm volumes on a large software raid5 array. So, a reinstall wouldn't be quite as straight-forward as it might initially appear.

It didn't take much longer to sort things out. I'm not at the machine in question at the moment but I had basically removed xorg-x11 (!) and need to re-install that. I think I also needed to do "switchdesk gnome" to get things working.

Everything is up and running now.

Cheers,

R.
--