FC2 upgrade-X problem

Ralph Jones ralph at nomeking.com
Wed Aug 4 01:04:48 UTC 2004

At 04:54 AM 8/2/2004, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 00:16, Ralph Jones wrote:
> > I've just upgraded an FC1 installation to FC2,and run into a problem
> > getting the X server to launch.
> >
> > The system had been running Gnome on an ATI Rage 128. After the
> upgrade, if
> > I try to boot into run level 5, the X server tries repeatedly and
> endlessly
> > to start, usually displaying a blank dark-blue hi-res screen with an X
> > cursor in the center.
> >
> > I've changed inittab to boot into run level 3. From there, if I try to do
> > init 5, I get the same result. However, I can command startx from the
> > run-level 3 prompt, and the X server comes right up with my old Gnome
> settings.
> >
> > Next, I made up a test script that runs all the start scripts in rc5.d.
> > When I run that, it starts up all the services associated with run level 5
> > -- the Samba server shows up on the network, and so forth -- and I am no
> > longer able to run startx. However, if I remove the xfs start script from
> > this script, I'm again able to bring up startx.
> >
> > Next, I tried removing the xfs startup script from rc5.d and booting into
> > run level 5...and that put me back where I started. I still can't get
> the X
> > server up except by running startx from the text prompt.
> >
> > Suggestions? Thanks...
> >
> > rj
>
>RJ,
>

>This almost smells like a permissions problem.  A couple of things to
>look for/try:
>
>1) What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log indicate after you try to init 5?
>
>2) Check your /etc/X11/fs/config and verify there are no bogus leftovers
>from FC1.
>
>3) At runlevel 3 and with xfs stopped, try deleting /tmp/.font-unix,
>restart xfs and init 5.  Also /tmp/.X11-unix and /tmp/.X0-lock if the
>.font-unix does not fix it.
>
>Bob...

Bob--

1) Xorg.0.log shows:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

2) I don't see anything in /etc/X11/fs/config that looks to be connected
with FC1, and the file is dated at the time of the upgrade.

3) The only one of those files present is .font-unix (actually a
directory). Deleting that had no effect.

rj