what to do after an IP change

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Aug 4 01:47:55 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 04.08.2004 schrieb Ben Vitale um 3:05:

> Does my local hostname have to meet some kind of constraint?  For
> example, I chose "vandelay":

You better choose a name which is a FQDN, a fully qualified domain name.
So better use a name like "vandelay.home.lan" or something like this
which is not public resolvable like the .lan TLD, but has the form:
hostname.domain.tld.

> [bvitale at vandelay ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       vandelay        localhost
>
> Is my hosts file setup correctly?  If yes, then why am I getting errors
> like this in sendmail:

No, it is NOT correct. Don't delete the name-IP mapping for localhost.
If your Fedora box has a network card and you have an IP for it, then
use those 2 lines:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
your_IP    vandelay.home.lan   vandelay

It is very important that the name resolution for localhost and the long
form localhost.localdomain works. Else you could append names to the
127.0.0.1 line like this:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost   vandelay

> Aug  3 21:02:07 vandelay sendmail[10299]: My unqualified host name
> (vandelay) unknown; sleeping for retry

This is because you did choose only a short form of a hostname. See my
first comments and suggestion.

> Ben

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3.ad.umlsmp
Serendipity 03:41:17 up 3 days, 9:06, load average: 1.68, 1.23, 0.92