accented characters on us keyboard

Anand Buddhdev anand at celtelplus.com
Wed Aug 4 16:08:15 UTC 2004

I'm using a Trust keyboard (101 keys), US layout, but with the Euro
symbol printed on the digit 5. When installing, I chose "us keyboard".
Under this setup, the Euro symbol is not available. I searched archives
and read up several websites, and finally understood how to use xmodmap
to get the Euro symbol when pressing the windows key and 5 together. I
also discovered that vim has an excellent compose feature, although by
default is doesn't know about the Euro. I managed to add the Euro symbol
using the "digraphs" command.

I also need to occasionally use accented characters. This is where it
gets complicated for me. I searched some more, and found I can change to
a "us international" keybaord, on which there are "dead keys", which I
can use to get accented characters. But that is quite annoying, as the
dead keys are the quotes, backtick and tilde, and on linux, I often use
those keys. I have to press a space after the key to get the quote or
tilde. And if I forget, I end up with an accented character :(

What I would ideally like is to have normal use of all they keys, but to
be able to have a special key (compose key) that I can use to generate
accented characters. I could use the windows key, right ALT key, or menu
key for that. But even after searching various sites, I haven't been
able to understand how I can achieve this. To be honest, there's a *lot*
of information out there on international keyboards under linux. Some
articles go into such great detail, leaving me confused. Others are too
brief, or distro-specific. I haven't been able to find a decent article
of a page that says "put this and that value in /etx/X11/XF86Config to
get the windows key to act as compose.

Would a kind soul please help me achieve what I want?