qmail conversion smtps?

Jonathan T. Steadman fedoracore at stny.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 17:05:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 12:25, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 04.08.2004 schrieb Jonathan T. Steadman um 17:40:
>
> > I have converted to sendmail after all the irritation I got from
> > installing sendmail, and it is just about up already, a lot more simple
> > then sendmail with all the correct packages, anyways I have not yet
> > figured out how to set up smtps which is a priority for me so I can send
> > mail remotely w/o fear of passwords being stolen and others using my
> > mail server.  anyways any help on that would be great also pop3s but
> > that is not such a big deal being I am now using imaps, in fact I might
> > just not even use pop anymore.
>
> Do I understand you right that you converted from qmail to Sendmail,
> right?
>
> Well, SMTPS is first offered by Sendmail release 8.13.0, before it was
> only a FFR (for future release). As it is not compiled as FFR with the
> Fedora Sendmail you can't use SMTPS with it.
>
> But you can use STARTTLS which has the same intention and works good.
> You need to create a certificate and adjust the sendmail.mc file. This
> was already discussed here in length and I posted some links to
> documentation. So what is your specific problem?
>
> Alexander

no, sorry I converted from sendmail to qmail my mistake bad wording,
anyways that was the solution I used with sendmail, now I am using qmail
and I dont know where to go, if you could point me to a man-page or
somewhere explaining it that would be cool, I just dont know where to go
from here, looked a round a bit with no luck.  I just basically want to
require passwords to be sent via smtps, so that it would be secure.