qmail conversion smtps?

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Wed Aug 4 19:42:32 UTC 2004

Jonathan T. Steadman wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 12:25, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>Am Mi, den 04.08.2004 schrieb Jonathan T. Steadman um 17:40:
>>

>>>I have converted to sendmail after all the irritation I got from
>>>installing sendmail, and it is just about up already, a lot more simple
>>>then sendmail with all the correct packages, anyways I have not yet
>>>figured out how to set up smtps which is a priority for me so I can send
>>>mail remotely w/o fear of passwords being stolen and others using my
>>>mail server.  anyways any help on that would be great also pop3s but
>>>that is not such a big deal being I am now using imaps, in fact I might
>>>just not even use pop anymore.
>>>

>>Do I understand you right that you converted from qmail to Sendmail,
>>right?
>>
>>Well, SMTPS is first offered by Sendmail release 8.13.0, before it was
>>only a FFR (for future release). As it is not compiled as FFR with the
>>Fedora Sendmail you can't use SMTPS with it.
>>
>>But you can use STARTTLS which has the same intention and works good.
>>You need to create a certificate and adjust the sendmail.mc file. This
>>was already discussed here in length and I posted some links to
>>documentation. So what is your specific problem?
>>
>>Alexander
>>

>no, sorry I converted from sendmail to qmail my mistake bad wording,
>anyways that was the solution I used with sendmail, now I am using qmail
>and I dont know where to go, if you could point me to a man-page or
>somewhere explaining it that would be cool, I just dont know where to go
>from here, looked a round a bit with no luck.  I just basically want to
>require passwords to be sent via smtps, so that it would be secure.

As qmail is not a standard Fedora package, you might be better off on
another list, e.g., look at http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html (there's also a
link there about converting from sendmail).

If you're not fully converted to qmail, and you haven't already done so,
consider postfix as well. In my experience (which is getting out of
date) it's easy to set up postfix and to convert to it from sendmail.
And the people who use it are nicer than the people who use qmail, on
average. But I don't know about SMTPS.