Installing boot loader in Master Boot Record on a Running System

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Aug 4 22:33:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 11:04 -0400, David White wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to install G R U B to boot the following:
>
> 1st Primary - MsDos (300mb)
> 2nd Primary - Win 2000 Pro (ntldr)
> Logical Drive in extended partition - FC2 (hda11)
>
> I've read the manual & googled for info but I am unsure as to the
> correct sequence of events to accomplish a G R U B install using the MBR as
> a starting point.
> I presently use a CD bootdisk to access FC2.
>
> Any links or help would be appreciated.
>
> Dave White

	Dave:

This should be fairly straightforward. Once you are in Fedora, open a
terminal window and 'su -' to root, enter root's password.

enter fdisk -l

this should give you a list of the way fedora sees all of your drives
and partitions. assuming yours is fairly standard next do 1 of

grub-install /dev/hda
or
grub-install /dev/hdc

depending on which is your boot disk.  You need to look a your BIOS in
order to find out which is your boot disk. Just find the area where it
selects to boot from which devices in what order.

Once you have done that, edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf in your
favorite text editor. you need the following lines for each of the
windows OSs

title WinDOHs  (this title will show up in the boot menu)
        rootnoverify (hd0,0) this is grub's way of seeing drives
                             hd0 = hda ,0 is the first boot block
                             the one for the disk
			     so use (hd1,0)for the win 2k drive
        chainloader +1       instructs grub to execute code at bootblock

The grub-install should already have made an entry for Fedora and May
have made an entry for 1 windows OS and called it "Other" or something.

I haven't actually used this for a DOS system, but my system has Win2k,
Mandrake, FC2 and FC3Test1 and works well

HTH

Scott