Crashing problem on firstboot, FC2 install

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 23:09:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 17:04, Matt Morgan wrote:
> >Have you tried booting to single user mode?  Or run level 3 to eliminate
> >X as the problem?
> >

> I was able to boot to single-user mode. I don't remember trying run
> level 3. But it did not seem like X had anything to do with it, since
> the crashes occurred at various times in the boot process ("starting
> sshd," "starting cups," etc.).

But when you booted to single user mode it did not crash?

You may want to try an interactive boot and selectively disable services
as you come up.  Start by disabling most of them then add them back in
if it boots up ok.

> >And to eliminate some of the possible hardware issues have you run a
> >memory test just to make sure your memory is not flaky?
> >

> I have not, but I've been using FC1 on this computer very successfully
> for a while now. But that's a good point--I'll definitely try a memory
> test next time I try FC2. Thanks for the tip.
>
> >What kind of harddrives are you using?
> >

> ATA; one WD 80Gb drive. A Sony CD-RW is on the other IDE bus.

That eliminates a lot of possible problems.  I seem to remember there
used to be limitations on where the first swap partition could be
located but I don't think that applies here and may not be an issue
under linux at all.

> >What does your partition table look like?  Particularly the swap
> >partition as it seems that may be a sticking point.
> >

> I may not remember exactly, but I think I had 200Mb of /boot, 6Gb of /
> (root), 512Mb of swap (to match my RAM), and then the remainder /home.
> Grub was in the MBR.

If you think it is the swap partition you may want to double check it
and make sure it is configured as a swap partition and not some other
filesystem type.

> >Are you dual booting?
> >

> No, it was a clean install on formatted partitions.

Again, eliminates a lot of possible problems. :)

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>