problems playing movies with xv and my voodoo3

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Thu Aug 5 15:18:49 UTC 2004

Lex Hider wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to preface these remarks by saying I now next to nothing about
> the working of X, xv, etc.
>
> I installed xine, mplayer and totem from livna for core 2.
> When I tried to play in xine the sound worked but I only got solid blue for
> the video.
> Neither for totem or mplayer would play at all.
>
> I got a solution on irc that with...
> mplayer use -vo x11
> xine -V xshm
>
> now the xshm solution is far from optimal.
> from http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq
> "The image looks strange, it is shifted, cropped or shows weird lines!
>
> This points to a problem with the Xv extension, which is used by xine to
> display the video image. To verify this, try running xine with the XShm
> video output plugin:
>
>   xine -V XShm
>
> If that works fine, you just proved, that the Xv extension is buggy."
>
> so does it mean that the xv extension is buggy?
> Do I need to make a bug report.
> At least this is on the record for next guy having problems.
>
> xine video playback has been working flawlessly in debian-sarge.
> Obviously there not using xorg though.
>
> Lex.

Lex:

Are you having probs playing encrypted DVD's?

Did you try installing libdvd* and libmad* via yum? If these are
encrypted DVD's then, those library files are necessary (at least they
are on my FC2 box).

try this (assuming your yum.conf if configured like that found at
fedorafaq.org):

# yum install libdvd* libmad*

When you get all that installed, try starting totem from the command
line, then click on play DVD. In your terminal, you will probably see
some output indicating it is doing the decryption, and it may take a
long time. Be patient here. Once that step is done, totem will
(hopefully) play your DVD's without a hitch!

Hope this helps,
Clint