Problem on Gnome Desktop and FORCE upgrade

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Aug 5 16:56:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 16:54, Stephen Liu wrote:
> It is not the problem of theme.  Gnome desktop looks
> identical to KDE.

But like I said, in Fedora it is *meant to* -- that's what the Bluecurve
theme does.

> Sorry I have no website to host a screenshot.

Send one to me off-list by email.

> $ rpm -qa | grep gnome | xargs rpm -V
> /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or
> directory

Okay, first you seem to have something odd going on with selinux, which
is supposed to be disabled by default in FC2. I don't know much about
selinux. I wonder if someone else on the list might be able to help you
with that aspect of your problem.

> Unsatisfied dependencies for pygnome-libglade-1.4.2-3:
> pygnome = 1.4.2, pygtk-libglad e = 0.6.9
> Unsatisfied dependencies for
> gnome-spell1.0-1.0.4-0.ximian.5.1: aspell-dictionary
> >= 0.50
> .......T    /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Spell.server
> S.5....T
> /usr/lib/gnome-spell/libgnome-spell-component-0.3.so
> .......T
> /usr/share/control-center-2.0/icons/spell-checker.png
> Unsatisfied dependencies for pygnome-devel-1.4.2-3:
> pygtk-devel = 0.6.9, pygnome = 1. 4.2
> S.5....T
> /usr/share/redhat-switch-printer/switchprinter_gui.pyc
> Unsatisfied dependencies for pygnome-1.4.2-3: pygtk =
> 0.6.9
> Unsatisfied dependencies for
> gnome-pilot-applet-2.0.9-0.ximian.5.2: gnome-pilot =
> 2.0.9-0.ximian.5.2

Well the above is what happens when you use rpm's --force option. You
have missing dependencies. Your rpm database might be in such a state by
now that you might want to consider a clean install.

> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gataxx
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/glines
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gnibbles
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gnobots2
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gnome-stones
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gnomine
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gnotravex
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gnotski
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/gtali
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/iagno
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/mahjongg
> ..?.....    /usr/bin/same-gnome

The above are fine, nothing to worry about.

One last thing you might try: in GNOME right-click on a panel and select
"New panel". Then, on that new panel right-click and select "Add to
Panel" -> "Main Menu". What do you get?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com