Installing boot loader in Master Boot Record on a Running System

David White djwhite at snet.net
Thu Aug 5 20:44:38 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>David White wrote:
>

>>I couldn't... find any combo of commands that would boot to MsDos
>>            ...can't determine a method to make 1st primary partition
>>active.
>>
>>But it dual boots to FC2 & WinDoze 2000

Rodrigo, Scott, & James,

A big "Tip of the Hat" for all your input on finalizing my grub.conf

Grub.conf now works for pure MsDos.

I have one hard drive & dos is in the first primary partition. (I use it
to restore drive_image backups etc.)

AFAIK there is no pure way to boot directly to dos when win 2000 is also
installed. (2nd primary hard drive)

FWIW here is what I did.

Downloaded a dos program bootpart v2.5 and made a copy of the dos boot
sector (512 bytes)
...named the file dosboot.bin
Copied dosboot.bin to C:\ on the 1st primary partition.
Booted to a dos floppy & reloaded the system files - A:\sys C:
Rebooted to GRUB

I can now boot to FC2, Win2000, & MsDos

grub.conf (dos portion)

title MsDos v6.22
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader /dosboot.bin

This is a great newsgroup...3rd week using Linux and the threads have
helped me to resolve issues and redirect my thinking.

Thanks everyone,

Dave White