How to edit partition labels?

netmask netmask at enZotech.net
Fri Aug 6 00:04:06 UTC 2004

> only partially true.  as i understand it (and i asked about this way back in
> history once upon a time), you only need an initrd if you want to mount the
> *root* filesystem by label.
>
> if you use an initrd, then the mounting of the root filesystem will (somehow)
> be able to use labels -- perhaps the initrd forces the mounting to happen in
> user space?

from man mkinitrd.. This leaves me to believe that yes, you /only/ need to use
initrd if your root partition is utilizing labels..  as is default in
redhat/fedora.

If a label is used, as in root=LABEL=rootPart the initrd will search all
available devices for an ext2 or ext3 filesystem with the appropriate label,
and mount that device as the root filesystem.