LinkSys WPC54G card autodetection?

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Fri Aug 6 07:49:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 03:32, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've got above WLAN cardbus card and got it running with ndiswrapper in
> FC2. However, when I plug it into the Cardbus slot, I manually have to
> load the ndiswrapper kernel module, cardmgr seems not to detect the card
> for me. "cardctl status" shows that there's a card, but "cardctl ident"
> doesn't show the product info of the card. I have another card based on
> the PRISM 2 chipset. With that, "cardctl ident" shows the ID of the card
> and cardmgr detects it correctly by beeping twice (which does not happen
> when I plug the Linksys card).
>

> Anything I'm stupidly missing here?

Replying to my own posts, that's how far I'm getting these days ;-)

I have meanwhile figured that cardctl ident reads the ID of the card --
after ndiswrapper has been loaded. But the whole idea is of course that
it should do this before the ndiswrapper is there. Isn't the id coming
from some std PCMCIA protocol -- which has nothing to do with a specific
driver for the card? How else could eg WINDOWS recognize which driver to
install for any given card?

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net