Can't configure my NIC - ethtool & mii-tool won't work

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 12:25:32 UTC 2004

David White wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> My internet activity is super slow in Fedora Core 2 compared to Windoze
> 2000.
>
> etho is a cnet pro100wl NIC/dmfe driver for Fedora(Davicom).
>
> I'd like to make sure its working at full-duplex & 100mbs but
> ethtool says "no data available"
> and
> mii-tool says SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not permitted
>  no MII interfaces found.

Are you running mii-tool as root?  The error you're seeing is what I get
if I try running it as a normal user.

If that still fails see if there's a man page for your NIC driver or if
modinfo has anything intersting to say about options flags you can set
to force a particular connection speed.

Simon.