installing

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 7 09:36:43 UTC 2004

Michael Chaftari wrote:
> I'm installing fedora on my dell 8600 laptop who's under XP.
>
> I need help to partition my drive i have partition magic.. anyone can
> help me out.. kind of partition, (logical, primary) file system etc...

Sounds like you're pretty new to Linux. Good luck, and have fun!

There are lots of complicated partition schemes you could use. But if
I were you, I'd stick to one swap partition and one root (/) partition.

Swap should be at least 512 MB, and at least the size of your memory
(as a very brief rule of thumb), and you'll probably want at least 3GB
for /.

It doesn't really matter whether they're logical or primary. You'll
want ext3 format on the disks: Fedora will do that, and I'd leave it
for Fedora if I were you.

Make sure you've got anything important backed up, especially if you're
resizing the XP partition. *Especially* if it's an NTFS partition.

You might want to be aware of this: http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nodualboot
For more details, see here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html
(Although as far as I can tell, most people don't see this problem).

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james@ | One could teach a child to Google but
westexe.demon.co.uk    | one _still_ should make them think.