SB Audigy now (mostly) works

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sat Aug 7 15:40:53 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-08-06 23:13, Aaron Gaudio whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 15:13 -0400, David White wrote:
>

>>No need for the cable, just use xmms and play the audio CD's digitally.
>>
>>Start xmms choose Preferences (Ctrl+P) select CD Audio Player -> (Input
>>Plugins) -> press the 'Configure' button, ->Play mode: Digital audio
>>extraction
>>

>Though, as I stated earlier, this consumes bandwidth on the IDE bus.
>Maybe not important in today's UltraDMA/133 world (or even SATA), but it
>could be a consideration.

Also, it puts the volume control for the CD under the influence of the
WAV slider, and not the CD slider.  You probably want quite different
settings for your music versus your system sounds.  It also means that
the sound drivers must properly share the WAV channel between the CD and
the system sounds, and some don't do this very well.  The analog mixing
is so much simpler.

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org