vsftpd slow because of iptables firewall

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Aug 7 21:58:24 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 07.08.2004 schrieb Roger Haase um 23:33:

> I tried both of those suggestions and neither helped. So I tried not
> starting the iptables firewall at boot and my file transfers were very
> fast.
>
> So the next question is why slow transfers with the firewall "problem"
> when all my googling results seem to suggest that firewall problems
> result in no transfers at all?

Because that is not correct. "Firewalling" on Linux with iptables
configuring the netfilters in the kernel does not only mean to open or
fully close paths for network packets. You an mangle, prioritize packets
or even let packets go very inefficient paths through different routes
in the kernel. So at all running netfilter code means CPU work and if
you have bad iptables chains and a weak CPU this can indeed effect the
throughput.

> Roger

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp
Serendipity 23:53:05 up 3 days, 17:20, load average: 0.11, 0.11, 0.09