[fedora] subject prefix

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 12:15:39 UTC 2004

a.sulaiman wrote:

> By the way, a query to list manager ( Warren? ). Most list
> I subscribe to prefix [listname] to the subject line of
> every post. Is there any chance of doing the same thing with
> fedora-list and fedora-devel-list. It just make it a bit easier
> to sort out crowded email inboxes.

Most e-mail clients worth their salt can filter on other clues. This is
especially true on Unix, unless you're looking right back to the
command-line "mail" program (which these days is basically archaeology
and something to script).

It looks like you're using sylpheed. Instructions at
http://sylpheeddoc.sourceforge.net/en/manual/manual-13.html#ss13.1
tell you how to filter on headers: you might care to look at "To:"
and possibly "Cc:" headers (I don't run sylpheed any more, so I
can't check).

For more options than you can shake a stick at, try procmail. I use
this rule in ~/.procmailrc with Maildir folders to grap list e-mail:
:0
"Fedora List/"

Given these options, the [fedora] subject prefix isn't actually that
useful, tends to break on all the internation "Re: " strings, and
takes up space that could be used to let us know what they e-mail's
about. (Once the e-mail is sorted, we know that it's from the list,
and the rest of the subject is more useful. This is especially true
on console-mode mail clients, which tend to have less space for the
subject anyway...)

HTH,

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | "A child of 5 could understand this!
westexe.demon.co.uk    | Fetch me a child of 5."