Problem with gnome 2.6.2 update in fc2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 12:51:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 03:31, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have two systems that have a messed up gnome desktop after running an
> update and logging out and back in.
>
> These[1] packages have been upgraded, and after that, the apps button
> lost the red hat icon, I lost my desktop switcher, time/calendar, and
> task switcher.  I also get an error on login saying something about a
> gnome settings daemon couldn't start.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  I'm seeing it on two machines, one at home
> one at work so they're not communicating with the same servers, except
> for maybe the same mirrors...
>
> [1]
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4.0K Aug  9 18:21 initscripts-7.55.1
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4.0K Aug  9 18:21 ORBit2-2.10.0

I have seen it.  There was a short thread in the last couple of weeks
about this.  I personally believe it had something to do with the ORBit2
update (I had a much shorter list of updates than you).

Try rebooting your systems.  While I don't like that solution it did
work.  I believe there is a process which one of the updates affected
that is not restarted when you log out and log back in.  That results in
the error you saw and the icons not being displayed as expected.

I believe in one of the past threads someone subsequently identified or
suggested which process it was that could be restarted but I don't
remember it off hand.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>