MORE SSH Hacking: heads-up <- TCP Wrappers

Trevor trevor at gnuguy.com
Tue Aug 10 15:05:59 UTC 2004

Well, I run snort (http://www.snort.org/) and guardian scripts
(http://www.chaotic.org/guardian/) to control extensive hacking on SSH.
Because I have no guest or test or user accounts on my system, the IDS take
notice and guardian will modify the firewall (iptables) and cut off the
attack for a predetermined amount of time.

I too cannot selectively allow specific external IP addresses, so the IDS
does it's job to look for strange SSH login attempts.  As always, keep your
OpenSSH packages up-to-date and take care when setting accounts/passwords.

Trev.