FC2 Updated ISOs

nicu nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Aug 11 06:13:04 UTC 2004

Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> I, for one, would still like to see a base FC2 ISO that can be used as a
> fresh install or upgrade from FC1 ISO, to keep us Newbies and businesses
> in using FEDORA - isn't that what truly counts - the USER who also
> spreads the good word.

the current ISO for FC2, as released back in May is fully functional and
can be installed fresh or as an upgrade of FC2.
however, in the meantime some minor updates were released - you can live
without most of them, or can install them *after* you have installed FC2
from ISO with 'yum update'
what OP ask is a new ISO for FC2 containing those updates in order to
save the download for updates after installation. this may be nice to
have, but resources spent may be better spent elsewhere (in preparing
the next release).
also, please note that FC1 will not disappear in to the void, it will be
maintained by Fedora Legacy for a while.

> Otherwise, FEDORA will always remain a work in progress, with an
> uncompleted phase or no base zero to fall back on, sort of regrouping.
> Doesn't the kernel need a occasionally freeze before continuing on?
> Maybe this business step/process should be incorporated into the
> Model/Project as a milestone or event and have an ISO team.

every piece of software (open source or proprietary) is a continual work
in progress, is 'finished' only when is discontinued

> Hummm.... (again)
> We're building a house, but you can't move in yet because the basement
> isn't finished and we're changing the furnace but if you know what
> you're doing then use these base board heaters because the house got
> bigger with other adjustments that you requested.

FC2 as released can be considered like a house in what you can safely
move in. of course, as time passed, you will have make small adjustments
to your house (change a lightbulb, new paint etc.), the same is the case
for your Linux distro.

> Reminds me of a so called story about "Casa Loma" in Toronto, Ontario
> where the owner felt that if he had ever finished the castle he would
> die. So the castle was always in a state of reconstruction.
>
> Chris Cz (will always remain a newbie if these change continue at this
> rate)

you may want to re-read the objectives of Fedora Core:
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html