Read After Write

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Aug 13 04:55:49 UTC 2004

On 11:25 12 Aug 2004, Bill Gradwohl <bill at ycc.com> wrote:
| jludwig wrote:
| >You could though do a compare (cmp)
| >mounting the ISO on a loop and do a directory cmp.
|
| I'm not trying to check an iso. I'm using a DVD as a backup device.
|
| I'm rsyncing whatever I want to backup to a special location
| (/snapshot/boxname/Thu.040812) on a separate physical volume and from
| there I cdrecord that location to the DVD. [...]
|
| I used diff -r to compare the hard drive location with the DVD, but diff
| complains when it hits a socket file [...]
|
| The thought of abandoning diff -r and replacing it with a find/cmp
| combination was distasteful, so I thought about it and figured I was
| wasting my time doing the compares if cdrecord or the O/S did it as a
| read after write process. Trouble is I couldn't find an authoritative
| source telling me that a read after write is being done and I've got to
| have some assurance that the DVD is an exact copy of the staging area.

The OS certainly doesn't. And by default cdrecord doesn't.

Why not just "rsync -n" back from the DVD to your data and see if
anything's been missed?

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I have a flawless philosophical and scientific model of reality.
Unfortunately, it's actual size.  We must never be dogmatic.  Anyone
who says otherwise is wrong.  Will betray country for food.  Annoy the
censors -- mention Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka in your .signature.
        - studly at eris.cs.umb.edu (Kevin W. McAuley)