Weird mouse cursor problem after installing XFCE4

Andy Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Mon Aug 16 04:26:12 UTC 2004

> Andy,

Wrong Andy.  He's Andrew, I'm Andy....there's just too many of us!

> If you are going to use the CVS version of XFCE4, you should be prepared
> for some level of instability. It is a pre-release version and some
> things may not work or may not work fully. The fact that you are using
> RC may introduce some new issues, as I am not aware of anyone using the
> CVS version of XFCE and RC together. Then again, that may only be a red
> herring.

Andrew, as near as I can tell I compiled the CVS version just like you
did, but I don't have Red Carpet installed, I just use synaptic.
Over-all, I was pleased with how easy it went, but I think I'll stick to
python for my own stuff...seems easier.  I also had to reinstall dbh to
get XFCE to compile, kinda weird.  But, I don't have your problem with
my mouse.  I don't think the presence of the X11 script would cause your
mouse to screw up.  Have you tried using

system-config-mouse

sounds crazy, but I might start there.

Have you installed any odd cursor themes or anything else to your system
that might affect the mouse?  This could be a conflict with something
else.

One problem that I've noticed about Fedora compared to SUSE (my old
distro) is that you have to be really careful mixing repositories of add
on software.  It seems to confuse things sometimes.  For instance, I
still can't get the updated lib-bonobo to do anything other than trash
gnome.  But, the point is, is that this could be related to something
else that's installed on your computer from newrpms, livna, dag, etc,
that's not playing nicely with xfce.

--andy