setting up network

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 20:51:17 UTC 2004

> Have manged to be able to send messages from the linux machine but
> cannot receive.  Think I can solve the problem later on. Here is the two
> commands ran and the reply.
>
> [billw at workgroup billw]$ cat /etc/yum.conf
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> retries=20
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> #[updates-testing]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> #[development]
> #name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
> [billw at workgroup billw]$
>

> [billw at workgroup billw]$ yum list updates
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
> Error - /var/cache/yum/base/header.info cannot be found
> Please ask your sysadmin to update the headers on this system.
> [billw at workgroup billw]$

It looks like you have not downloaded any header files.
run yum update. This will populate you /var/cache/yum with header files.
I would use a mirror site rather than the fedora redhat site since the download speed at those sites is slow because they are used so much.
--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.