FC2 groupadd error: unable to lock group file

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 17 00:15:24 UTC 2004

Kevin Wang wrote:
> it was likely that some process that you had started but backgrounded
> kept the file open. rebooting naturally killed the program.

You can always use "lsof | grep name-of-questionable-file" to see who's
got it open.

And by the way, top posting is not the preferred method here.

	A: Because it's easier to follow the thread
	Q: Why should I bottom-post?

We prefer bottom posting.  Put your reply AFTER what you're replying to.

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:35:58 -0400, Kurt Hansen <khansen at charityweb.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Problem solved. Just want to include it here in case anyone else runs
>>into this and searches for an answer
>>
>>After re-booting the next day, it worked. I'm not sure why. I suspect
>>the lock happened because I first got an error when running groupadd. I
>>suspect it exited abnormally and thus did not release it's lock.
>>
>>Take care,
>>
>>Kurt Hansen
>>

>>Kurt Hansen wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to add a group using the groupadd command, e.g.
>>>
>>># /usr/sbin/groupadd -r newgroup
>>>
>>>but get the error:
>>>
>>>groupadd: unable to lock group file
>>>
>>>I was able to do it on FC1 and earlier Red Hat editions. What am I doing
>>>wrong? I've tried it both as logging in as root and su'ing to root.
>>>
>>>The "Add user & group" GUI utility works, but I need the command line
>>>because I will be setting up systems remotely that are behind a firewall
>>>that only allows SSH through.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -