Replacing disk in Linux Software RAID 1

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 11:14:00 UTC 2004

Michael E. Webster wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Probably - I went with "ghost" because I had a boot floppy handy.

You should not need to ghost. Add the new drive as a hot spare and md should
  take care of building the new drive whilst the system is running (it does
need to be partitioned correctly first).

> The main thing is to get the MBR from that first drive - without it,
> you're out of luck.
>
> In software RAID, the MBR is only written to the first drive, which
> really doesn't make sense.  I would think that if you had the first
> drive fail, you should be able to boot off the second one - IMHO.
>

> Mike.

I don't think that's right.

In the case of lilo it writes MBRs such that each drive will boot from
itself, and either drive can work with the other removed. OTOH, due to the
way grub works, only one drive can be used as the boot device (each will try
to boot from the same drive).

At least this was the case in RH9 which is the latest mirrored boot system
I've setup. It's entirely possible that lilo has since been broken so that
it no longer handles booting from mirrored disks.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555